Nightclub roof collapse in Dominica kills 221 people

Bùi Đức |

Although the nightclub roof collapse in Santo Domingo (Doming City) killed 221 victims, the rescue team still saved 189 people.

NBC News reported that on April 10, Dominican Republic officials said a total of 221 people died in the Jet Set nightclub roof collapse in the capital Santo Domingo on April 8, of which 146 victims have been identified.

On the same evening (local time), the National Attorney General's Office announced the list of victims, and announced that the team of forensic doctors and experts were still working tirelessly to complete the autopsy and identify the remaining victims who had just been removed from the ruins.

Juan Manuel Mendez, director of the National Emergency Response Center (EOC), confirmed the latest casualty figures at a press conference on the same morning. Mr. Mendez said the rescue campaign had officially ended after 53 hours of continuous searching.

According to him, this is the most difficult job during his 20 years working at the EOC. He also said that the rubble had been almost cleaned up and a total of 189 people were saved.

After the rescue process ended, on the afternoon of April 10 (local time), Government Strategy and Communications Director Homero Figueroa said that the government is now moving to a cautious investigation phase, and affirmed that it will not make hasty conclusions.

Mr. Figueroa announced that the Office for Seismic and vulnerability Assessment of the National Infrastructure and Construction Works will supervise a group of domestic and international experts to conduct technical research to accurately determine the cause of the incident, thereby proposing further legal handling steps.

Previously, on April 8, the Jet Set nightclub suddenly collapsed while a performance by famous merengue singer Rubby Perez was taking place - who was confirmed to be one of the victims.

After the information about the incident spread, hundreds of families rushed to the scene, waiting in line all the days the rescue team worked, hoping to hear news about their loved ones.

One of the survivors, Zulink Perez, said she was standing on stage with her father when the accident happened and witnessed everything firsthand. However, her father was unlucky to escape. "Everything went down, I didn't see my father anymore. Everything happened so quickly, she choked up as she recounted.

Bùi Đức
RELATED NEWS

9 people involved in a brawl in front of a pub in Hue

|

HUE - Authorities in Hue are consolidating their files to prosecute the brawlers on two charges of intentionally causing injury and disturbing public order.

Removing bottlenecks to help the 6,000 billion VND traffic project in the Northwest reach the finish line

|

The project to connect the traffic of the Northern mountainous provinces with a total investment of more than 6,000 billion VND, nearly 200 km long, is facing many difficulties in site clearance.

High waves damage 150m of sea dyke along seafood restaurants in Mui Ne

|

Lam Dong - A section of the sea dyke about 150m long through the area with a large seafood restaurant in Mui Ne was damaged by big waves.

Hanoi Secretary Nguyen Duy Ngoc talks about personnel arrangement

|

Hanoi - According to Secretary of the City Party Committee Nguyen Duy Ngoc, all wards and communes are arranged with cadres according to their assigned functions, tasks, and workload.

The Golden Heart Fund helps people in the flood-prone area of Gia Lai after natural disasters

|

Gia Lai - The recent historic storm and flood have destroyed hundreds of houses in Tuy Phuoc flood-prone area, many households were left penniless, and lost all their livelihoods.

Live football Nam Dinh vs Ratchaburi at AFC Champions League Two

|

Live match between Nam Dinh and Ratchaburi in AFC Champions League Two, taking place at 5:00 p.m. today (November 27).

Xét xử nhóm thanh niên tổ chức sử dụng ma túy tại quán bar ở Huế

PHÚC ĐẠT |

HUẾ - 4 thanh niên tổ chức sử dụng ma túy tại quán bar ở Huế vừa bị TAND quận Thuận Hóa đưa ra xét xử.

9 people involved in a brawl in front of a pub in Hue

PHÚC ĐẠT - NGUYỄN LUÂN |

HUE - Authorities in Hue are consolidating their files to prosecute the brawlers on two charges of intentionally causing injury and disturbing public order.

Xả súng đẫm máu tại hộp đêm ở Mỹ, 5 người chết

Thanh Hà |

Ít nhất 5 người thiệt mạng và 18 người bị thương vào cuối ngày 19.11 trong vụ xả súng tại một hộp đêm LGBTQ ở Colorado Springs, Mỹ.