As the largest pagoda in the capital Tokyo, Zojoji is located in the middle of Shiba Park in Minato District, the city center.
The pagoda was originally built in 1393. In 1598, Tokugawa Ieyasu (the first Shōgun of the Tokugawa court) moved the pagoda to its current location and chose this as his family's pagoda. The familys tombs are located at the rear of the complex, which includes the tombs of six Tokugawa generals. Located right next to the Tokyo Tower, the pagoda campus includes several impressive architectural works, the Tokugawa family's mausoleum and a small museum.
Most of Zojoji's current buildings are recent reconstructions, except for the entrance to Sangedatsumon. This pagoda gate dates back to 1622, and has existed through many fires, earthquakes and wars in history.
The small museum in the basement of the main hall of the pagoda focuses mainly on the former appearance of Tokugawa Mausoleum, including buildings that were elaborately decorated but were severely damaged during World War 2.
In addition to documents and artifacts, the museum also has a video of the lenses construction process and a 1:00 scale model of previous buildings.
On July 11, many police officers stood in the area in front of the pagoda to ensure security for the visit.