The secret from the Swedish warship that sank 400 years ago

Thanh Hà |

Researchers are learning more about the people who died after the Swedish warship Vasa sank, including a woman named G who has been accused by scientists of being a man for many years.

On the afternoon of August 10, 1628, the Vasa - built by the Swedes to become one of the most powerful warships in the Baltic - departed from the royal port in Stockholm. However, Vasa could not travel more than 1.6 km.

A strong wind caused a nearly 70-meter-long ship to capsize, causing water to overflow through the gunpowder gates that were opening for display on the first trip.

About 150 people were believed to be on board at the time of the ship's sinking and around 30 people had died.

Now, nearly 400 years later, advanced DNA testing has helped researchers understand more about the people who died on the ship, including the woman known as G, who has been suspected of being a man for many years.

Scientists even named the woman "Gustav" in an exhibition at the museum.

Fred Hocker - Director of the Vasa Museum in Stockholm, where the ship is on display - said: "It's interesting to understand who they are personally and what they told us about the Swedish population 400 years ago."

The revival of Vasa began in 1958 and was completed in 1961 when all warships were salvaged from the seabed.

Workers spray water on the ship, then apply polyetylen glycol preservatives for 17 years and let it dry for another 9 years.

Dr Hocker said that some similar excavation projects on historical ships were carried out at the same time, but Vasa was "the most spectacular".

"It's a whole ship, it's very big. Vasa has set a model for marine archaeology," he said.

The recovery of the ship also includes more than 40,000 objects inside and around the ship. However, the remains found in the ship pose an archaeological problem for us, says Dr. Hocker.

Initially, the remains were buried in a Navy cemetery.

26 years later, when the Vasa Museum was preparing to display the ship, scientists excavated bones for further research. However, due to water, improper treatment and no identification numbers, these skeletons are no longer in ideal condition.

It was not until 2004 that the museum began working with geneticists at Uppsala University in Sweden to conduct DNA research on skeletons.

This study concluded that there were 15 adults with clearly defined bones and some bones belonged to at least 2 others, with 1 of them being a child under 10 years old.

By 2016, the lab had developed a next-generation sequencing method that could collect and enrich damaged or damaged human DNA, said Charla Marshall, head of emerging technology at the lab.

The first Vasa sample that the researchers tested was G. After arranging G's entire DNA sequence using four different methods, the laboratory confirmed that this skeleton was female.

Previously, researchers struggled to get a complete genetic structure of G, partly because bone structure possesses both masculine and feminine characteristics: the facial bones look slightly more male than female and the spine shows that G has worked very hard.

Currently, the museum has ordered a new recreated version of G for women to display next to the original version for men.

The museum is also considering whether to change the G name to Gertrud - a popular G-name for women in Sweden in the 1620s - or use letters to identify skeletons.

The museum is also waiting for similar genetic testing for 14 other skeletons.

Dr. Hocker said that additional DNA tests will provide detailed information about the crew on the Vasa, down to details such as whether they have nhunges or not, whether they have wet or dry ears...

Thanh Hà
RELATED NEWS

Publicize images of students' actual trays for parent supervision

|

The Prime Minister requested a general review, fight, and handle food safety crimes; publicize images of students' actual trays for parents to supervise.

190 billion VND project increases the efficiency of Vinh Phu bridge exploitation in Phu Tho

|

Phu Tho - More than 5km of DT. 306 section from the intersection with Van Quan - Song Lo road to Vinh Phu bridge in Song Lo commune has been heavily invested in renovation and upgrade.

A city in Vietnam organizes 4 big concerts in 1 night

|

In just one day, October 17, Vietnamese audiences can choose between 4 different concerts held in the same city.

Nguyen Quang Hai aims for a new milestone with the Vietnamese national team at ASEAN Cup 2026

|

At the age of 29, Nguyen Quang Hai entered the ASEAN Cup 2026 as the captain of the Vietnamese team and the aspiration to defend the regional championship.

97 years of Lao Dong Newspaper's historical journey

|

97 years ago, on August 14, 1929, in a small house in Thong Phong alley, near Ho Giam Lake (Hanoi), the first issue of Lao Dong Newspaper was born under the direction of comrade Nguyen Duc Canh. From that moment, a historical journey began. The journey of the revolutionary newspaper always accompanied the working class and working people, in every stage of the country's development.

Mỹ triển khai tàu ngầm mang tên lửa dẫn đường tới Trung Đông

Thanh Hà |

Hải quân Mỹ triển khai một tàu ngầm mang tên lửa dẫn đường có khả năng trang bị tới 154 tên lửa Tomahawk tới Trung Đông, động thái dường như là phô trương lực lượng với Iran sau những căng thẳng gần đây.

Những đoàn tàu cao tốc vụt qua sa mạc Saudi Arabia

Thanh Hà |

Xa xưa, những người hành hương Hồi giáo đi bộ đến thánh địa Mecca. Tuy nhiên, giờ đây, họ có thể đến bằng tàu cao tốc ở Saudi Arabia.

Chuyến săn sói lớn nhất thời hiện đại ở Thuỵ Điển

Thanh Hà |

Thợ săn người Thuỵ Điển Lars Bjork chỉ vào những dấu vết mới trên tuyết khi đi xuyên qua một khu rừng phủ đầy tuyết trắng ở miền Trung nước này, nơi có cuộc săn sói lớn nhất thời hiện đại.