Students complain about having to eat leftover rice, Hanoi University of Science and Technology admits fault

Vân Trang |

Students at Hanoi University of Science and Technology reported that they had to eat leftover rice, even rice with worms and rat droppings, when studying National Defense and Security Education at school.

According to the regulations of Hanoi University of Science and Technology, all first-year students must study national defense education for 2 weeks. Students must pay 1,630,000 VND for centralized accommodation and meals.

According to videos recorded by students and sent to VTV, every day, there is a squad that helps serve meals. Students in this squad said that their task is to collect leftover rice from bowls at each table of the platoon that had eaten about an hour before, mix it well, and pour it into trays. After that, the kitchen staff pours this leftover rice into a common rice container and continues to distribute it to the units that come to eat later.

In addition to rice, half-eaten bowls of soup were also collected, poured back into the pot, and then divided into new meals. Many students at the Polytechnic University also reported finding foreign objects in their food many times.

Khanh - a first-year student majoring in Information Technology at Hanoi University of Science and Technology - was not surprised to see the above information because before that, he heard many classmates complaining about the quality of meals during their time studying National Defense and Security Education at school.

"The school is divided into many sessions of National Defense and Security and according to the plan, I will only go to school in November. I have heard many friends talk about such meals and am quite worried about my turn to go to school" - the male student said and expressed hope that after the incident, the school will make adjustments to ensure students' meals.

On the afternoon of October 7, Hanoi University of Science and Technology conducted a comprehensive inspection of the organization of centralized meals and accommodation for students at the Faculty of National Defense and Security Education, and convened a meeting with relevant parties to clarify the information provided.

Through inspection, the working group noted that some information reported by the press was true, although the catering unit had provided explanations but they were not convincing enough, such as: They had not received direct feedback from students studying here about food hygiene, as well as no cases of food poisoning had been recorded through the Polytechnic Medical Center, new staff did not understand the regulations....

Dai hoc Bach khoa da
Hanoi University of Science and Technology said it will strictly handle related groups and individuals to ensure the rights of students. Photo: HUST

Hanoi University of Science and Technology said that it will publicize and strictly handle the relevant groups and individuals to ensure the rights of students. At the same time, it directed to immediately stop the contract with the current food supplier for new students studying national defense education. Transfer to another unit to provide meals that meet all quantitative and food safety standards. Continue to request the relevant parties to clarify and thoroughly handle the matter.

"This is an unfortunate incident. Hanoi University of Science and Technology would like to apologize and hope to receive sympathy and understanding from parents and students," the school said in a statement.

Vân Trang
RELATED NEWS

Social housing buyers are not allowed to submit applications for many projects

|

The government stipulates that each social housing buyer is not allowed to simultaneously register to buy at multiple projects at the same time.

Enrollment 2026: Series of universities adjust admission combinations and targets

|

Many universities have announced their enrollment plans for 2026, with some adjustments to admission combinations and targets.

91-year-old woman in Hanoi receives support after Lao Dong Newspaper article

|

After the article by Lao Dong Newspaper, a 91-year-old woman in Hanoi has received a new allowance for January, February and March, with a level of 650,000 VND per month.

AI cameras support Hanoi traffic police to maintain traffic flow on the days leading up to Tet

|

Hanoi - AI camera data in real time helps traffic police forces flexibly operate traffic lights, remote traffic diversion...

Opposition party raises doubts in Thai election

|

Leaders of the Thai People's Party admitted defeat according to preliminary results, but called for an investigation into unusual signs to ensure the transparency of the election.

Truck bursts into flames on Vinh Hao - Phan Thiet expressway

|

Lam Dong - A truck traveling on the Vinh Hao - Phan Thiet expressway suddenly caught fire fiercely.

Large fire at a charity house in Bac Ninh

|

Bac Ninh - On the morning of February 10, a fire broke out at the Huong La charity house (Luong Tai commune), burning down about 80m2.

Debate on whether to keep or abolish the parent-teacher association

Vân Trang - Anh Đức |

At the beginning of every new school year, there are two opposing opinions on forums about whether or not to abolish the parent-teacher association.

Prime Minister requests to reduce pressure in graduation exams

Vân Trang |

The Prime Minister requested to organize the graduation exam in a way that reduces pressure, reduces costs, is less expensive, ensures reliability, and accurately assesses students' abilities.

The employment rate of graduates is nearly 100%: Is it true?

Nhóm PV |

Many students believe that the employment rate of graduates according to surveys by schools is almost unreliable.