TikTok revives in the US

Anh Vũ |

TikTok restored service on January 19, just hours after the short video platform was shut down due to a ban from the US government.

TikTok restored its service in the US on January 19 (local time). The move came as President-elect Donald Trump announced he would suspend the ban through an executive order shortly after taking office.

The statement, posted on the Truth Social social media account by Mr. Trump, came as millions of American users woke up to find themselves unable to access the TikTok app. He said the purpose of the order was to give TikTok’s parent company, ByteDance, more time to find an approved buyer before the ban officially takes effect.

By the afternoon of January 19, TikTok users had received a message thanking and acknowledging the President-elect’s support. The message stated: “Thanks to the efforts of President Trump, TikTok is back in the US!”

Thong bao quay tro lai cua TikTok. Anh: Chup man hinh
TikTok's return announcement in the US. Photo: Screenshot

The platform had previously shut down on the evening of January 18 to comply with a federal law requiring ByteDance to sell its US operations by January 19. Google and Apple have also removed TikTok from their app stores. The law, passed in April 2021 with broad bipartisan support, also stipulates heavy fines for any violations.

TikTok, however, said the steps Trump announced on January 19 provided “necessary clarity and assurance” that its service providers would not face penalties. The TikTok app is still not available for download from Apple and Google’s app stores.

Jasmine Enberg, an analyst at market research firm Emarketer, said this was a smart marketing strategy for both TikTok and President-elect Donald Trump.

TikTok's restoration of operations has somewhat eased users' concerns, while opening up an opportunity for ByteDance to continue looking for solutions for the platform's future in the US.

Anh Vũ
RELATED NEWS

TikTok still relies on Trump despite US shutdown

|

In announcing its shutdown, TikTok is still waiting for a solution from President-elect Donald Trump.

Leaving TikTok, Americans "migrate" to Chinese social networks

|

Even before TikTok shut down, a significant portion of US users were quickly looking for alternative platforms.

TikTok denies selling to Elon Musk, ready to shut down in the US

|

TikTok officially denied the information about selling its US branch to Elon Musk to continue operating in this country.

Recording many rare wild chickens in Chu Mom Ray National Park

|

Quang Ngai - For species belonging to group IB, just having acts of illegal hunting and trapping in the forest can be considered for criminal handling.

Fire at Safira Khang Dien apartment building, residents flee

|

Ho Chi Minh City - In the afternoon of May 19, a fire suddenly broke out in the 7th floor apartment building of Safira Khang Dien apartment building (Ho Chi Minh City), causing many residents to panic and flee.

Stock market faces adjustment pressure at peak

|

Cautious sentiment has caused the stock market to fall into a state of struggling trading, VN-Index quickly reversed to below the reference level.

TikTok still relies on Trump despite US shutdown

Anh Vũ |

In announcing its shutdown, TikTok is still waiting for a solution from President-elect Donald Trump.

Leaving TikTok, Americans "migrate" to Chinese social networks

Anh Vũ |

Even before TikTok shut down, a significant portion of US users were quickly looking for alternative platforms.

TikTok denies selling to Elon Musk, ready to shut down in the US

Anh Vũ |

TikTok officially denied the information about selling its US branch to Elon Musk to continue operating in this country.