According to Xinhua News Agency, fighting in Yemen on August 18 (local time) continued to escalate as Houthi attacked areas controlled by Yemeni government forces with missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), while government troops intensified retaliatory attacks on Houthi positions, causing fighting on many fronts.
Yemeni media reported that a Houthi missile hit Al-Khawkhah district in Hodeidah province, on the Red Sea coast, killing 3 people.
Another missile of this force fell into Al-Jufainah camp for displaced people in Marib province, a oil-rich area in northeastern Yemen, but there were no casualties.
In another development, the Yemeni emergency response force said that the country's air defense shot down a UAV carrying explosives when the UAV was approaching Al-Thaniyah military base in Marib on August 18.
Before the Houthi attacks, the Yemeni army on August 18 announced the expansion of military operations and carried out 133 attacks targeting Houthi positions and forces on many fronts in 24 hours.
According to a statement posted on social network X, Yemeni government force spokesman Majid Al-Nuzaili said that military units have used missile launchers, artillery and UAVs to attack Houthi positions and military facilities.
This escalation comes after recent Houthi missile and UAV attacks targeting government-controlled areas in Yemen, including the port city of Mocha on the Red Sea coast, Marib province, as well as oil facilities in Saudi Arabia.
Last month, the Houthi forces declared a ban on Saudi Arabia's maritime transport activities and have since claimed responsibility for attacks targeting the country's oil tankers.
