New incident in the Baltic after the mysterious cable break near Nord Stream

Thanh Hà |

The Finland - Estonia power cable was severed in the latest incident in the Baltic Sea. Last month, two cables near the Nord Stream pipeline were severed.

Finnish Prime Minister Petteri Orpo said the undersea power cable connecting Finland and Estonia was severed on December 25. This is the latest in a series of incidents involving cables and gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea.

The Finnish Prime Minister said that the power outage in the latest incident did not affect the country's power supply.

The government is still vigilant even during Christmas and is investigating the situation, Petteri Orpo said on social network X.

The head of the Finnish power grid's operations Fingrid Arto Pahkin told public broadcaster broadcasting that the possibility of sabotage cannot be ruled out.

According to Fingrid, the power line on the Estlink 2 cable that carries electricity from Finland to Estonia was cut at 12:36 on December 25, local time.

Estonia Public Radio (ERR) reported that Elering - Estonia's power grid operator - has also confirmed the disconnection. Elering said the cause of the incident was still unknown and investigations were ongoing in both countries.

Estlink 2, which has been in operation since 2014, is an HVDC single-altitude power line connecting Finland and Estonia. The line was built to supplement Estlink 1, the first HVDC line between the two countries, which came into operation in 2006. Earlier this year, Estlink 2 was shut down for several months for maintenance.

Estlink 2 has a transmission capacity of 650 megawatt, while Estlink 1 has a smaller capacity of 350 megawatt.

Two telecommunications cables near the Nord Stream pipeline in the Baltic Sea connecting Sweden and Denmark were also severed last month.

The Arelion cable running from Sweden's Gotland to Lithuania was severed early on November 17 and the C-Lion 1 cable connecting Helsinki and Germany's Rostock port was severed south of Sweden's Oland Island the following day.

The suspect in the cable break is the Chinese ship Yi Peng 3. According to tracking websites, the Yi Peng 3 passed through the cables around the time of the cable break.

Earlier this week, Sweden said China had rejected requests from prosecutors to investigate the Yi Peng 3 and the ship had left the Baltic region.

Tensions have been rising around the Baltic region since the Russia-Ukraine conflict broke out in February 2022.

Thanh Hà
TIN LIÊN QUAN

China talks about the cable break near Nord Stream

|

In the investigation into the cable break near Nord Stream in the Baltic Sea, China affirmed that it had provided information and documents to the parties.

Germany has not contacted Russia about Nord Stream

|

Germany has no substantive contact with Russia over Nord Stream, a Russian diplomat told the country's media.

New scenario for Nord Stream 2 after shocking sabotage

|

The Nord Stream 2 pipeline is expected to be operational in 2030.

President Khamtay Siphandone - a great friend of Vietnam

|

President Khamtay Siphandone is one of the Lao leaders who have always had close relationships with Vietnamese leaders of all time.

The Ministry of Finance talks about the 46% tax rate

|

The representative of the Ministry of Finance assessed that the US imposing a 46% tax on Vietnamese goods will negatively affect exports, requiring appropriate policy responses.

Facing the 46% US tax rate, Vietnamese enterprises need to focus on investing in products that meet ESG standards

|

Dr. To Hoai Nam - Permanent Vice President and General Secretary of the Vietnam Association of State-owned Enterprises had an interview with Lao Dong Newspaper about the new tax rate applied by the US to Vietnam.

Dry port project in Hoai Duc abandoned for many years

|

The ICD My Dinh dry port project in Hoai Duc, Hanoi has been approved for nearly 10 years but has not been completed. However, the project's land has shown signs of lease.

Domestic gasoline prices continue to increase

|

Gasoline prices increased simultaneously from 3:00 p.m. today, April 3, after adjustments by the Ministry of Industry and Trade - Ministry of Finance.

China talks about the cable break near Nord Stream

Thanh Hà |

In the investigation into the cable break near Nord Stream in the Baltic Sea, China affirmed that it had provided information and documents to the parties.

Germany has not contacted Russia about Nord Stream

Thanh Hà |

Germany has no substantive contact with Russia over Nord Stream, a Russian diplomat told the country's media.

New scenario for Nord Stream 2 after shocking sabotage

Thanh Hà |

The Nord Stream 2 pipeline is expected to be operational in 2030.