Trump postpones 50% tariffs on Canadian goods

Anh Vũ |

US President Donald Trump has postponed a series of tariffs expected to be imposed on Canadian goods.

I have postponed the 50% tariff on Canada, which is expected to take effect tomorrow morning, for 3 days, based on the agreement between Canada and the US, depending on the completion of the documents," Mr. Trump wrote on social media on August 18 (US time).

The US President did not provide further details, except for mentioning the Keystone XL oil pipeline that he said "can be awakened from the grave".

According to the US Trade Representative Office, the 50% tariff should have affected imports from Canada worth about $20 billion, covering items ranging from hockey sticks, some building materials, spirits to several types of clothing.

The last-minute agreement came after more than a week of intense meetings and technical negotiations. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney described the negotiations with the US administration as "very sensitive and tense", but did not elaborate. The two leaders had phone conversations twice during this period, Mr. Carney's office said.

The Canadian Prime Minister previously affirmed that the threatened tariffs are "direct violations" of the US-Canada-Mexico Agreement, the main document Mr. Trump pursued and signed during his first term.

The US Chamber of Commerce warned that if no agreement is reached, the imposition of higher tariffs will harm both economies, push costs up to US families, disrupt more essential supply chains and threaten 13 million jobs of Americans dependent on the North American trade agreement. The organization assessed that reducing tariffs on Canada would be a "great benefit for US consumers, producers, farmers and manufacturers".

Anh Vũ
RELATED NEWS

Trump: The US is bringing millions of barrels of oil through the Strait of Hormuz

|

President Donald Trump said that the US is completely controlling the Strait of Hormuz and is taking millions of barrels of oil out of this area every week.

World on August 18: Mr. Trump reveals that Mr. Kim Jong Un responded to the dialogue proposal

|

US President Donald Trump said that he is making the situation "much safer" through his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

President Trump unexpectedly requests to reduce the scale of US-South Korea joint military exercise

|

President Trump said he had directed Secretary of State for War Pete Hegseth to significantly reduce the scale of joint military exercises with South Korea for a number of reasons.

Expected lineup for Vietnam vs. Malaysia in the second leg of the ASEAN Cup semi-final

|

The Vietnamese team welcomes Malaysia at 8:00 p.m. today (August 19) in the second leg of the ASEAN Cup 2026 semi-finals.

3 tropical depressions simultaneously form, forecast rain for many days

|

Three tropical depressions are forming simultaneously around the East Sea, including 1 tropical depression in the East Sea.

Trump: The US is bringing millions of barrels of oil through the Strait of Hormuz

Châu Anh |

President Donald Trump said that the US is completely controlling the Strait of Hormuz and is taking millions of barrels of oil out of this area every week.

World on August 18: Mr. Trump reveals that Mr. Kim Jong Un responded to the dialogue proposal

Thanh Hà |

US President Donald Trump said that he is making the situation "much safer" through his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

President Trump unexpectedly requests to reduce the scale of US-South Korea joint military exercise

BẠCH DƯƠNG |

President Trump said he had directed Secretary of State for War Pete Hegseth to significantly reduce the scale of joint military exercises with South Korea for a number of reasons.