President Trump unexpectedly requests to reduce the scale of US-South Korea joint military exercise

BẠCH DƯƠNG |

President Trump said he had directed Secretary of State for War Pete Hegseth to significantly reduce the scale of joint military exercises with South Korea for a number of reasons.

AFP quoted US President Donald Trump in a post on Truth Social on August 16 (local time) as saying that the US will reduce the scale of joint military exercises planned with South Korea.

The statement was made by him right before the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) exercise began in South Korea. This is an 11-day exercise aimed at maintaining the ability to respond to security situations on the Korean Peninsula.

President Trump expressed dissatisfaction with the US's long-standing maintenance of joint military exercises with South Korea because they are both costly and send completely inappropriate and hostile signals to North Korea.

According to Mr. Trump, the US is bearing a significant part of the cost of organizing exercises and maintaining large-scale training activities with South Korea is inappropriate in the context that he is having good relations with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Mr. Trump said it was too late to cancel the exercise, so he directed Secretary of State for War Pete Hegseth to significantly reduce the scale of the exercise.

When asked about Mr. Trump's statement, the South Korean Ministry of National Defense later said that the exercise had begun and would take place as planned and scheduled in advance.

For a long time, North Korea has condemned the large-scale exercises between South Korea and the United States. Previously, Colonel Ryan Donald, spokesman for the US-South Korea Joint Command, revealed that this exercise is expected to involve 18,000 South Korean soldiers and US forces stationed here, with a focused focus on unmanned aerial combat, the ability to respond to GPS signal interruption and situations related to cyberattacks.

BẠCH DƯƠNG
RELATED NEWS

President Trump: NATO allies were not there when the US needed them

|

US President Donald Trump said that NATO allies did not support the conflict with Iran, saying the US still remembers this.

Trump rejects concerns about conditions on US aircraft carriers

|

President Trump rejected concerns about the living conditions and mental health of soldiers on the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln after nearly 9 months of deployment.

President Trump declares the US completely controls the Strait of Hormuz

|

US President Donald Trump declared that Washington is completely controlling the Strait of Hormuz, saying Iran is no longer capable of dealing with US forces.

Traffic police force made records of 746 violations, revoked 166 driver's licenses

|

Khanh Hoa - In 5 months, the traffic police force made records of 746 violations and revoked 166 driver's licenses for violations.

Large group of red-shanked douc langurs discovered in Quang Tri

|

Quang Tri - Conservation forces have just recorded a large number of red-shanked douc langurs in Bac Huong Hoa Nature Reserve.

Many Middle Eastern countries secretly bring oil through the Strait of Hormuz

|

Many oil tankers from the UAE, Qatar and Kuwait are said to have quietly passed through the Strait of Hormuz, contributing to maintaining oil supply in the context of the Middle East conflict.

People agree to hand over land to widen roads to 21.5m in Hanoi

|

Hanoi - 103 organizations, households, and individuals have agreed to hand over land for the project to expand alley 381 Nguyen Khang, reaching a rate of 100%.

President Trump: NATO allies were not there when the US needed them

Châu Anh |

US President Donald Trump said that NATO allies did not support the conflict with Iran, saying the US still remembers this.

Trump rejects concerns about conditions on US aircraft carriers

BẠCH DƯƠNG |

President Trump rejected concerns about the living conditions and mental health of soldiers on the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln after nearly 9 months of deployment.

President Trump declares the US completely controls the Strait of Hormuz

Châu Anh |

US President Donald Trump declared that Washington is completely controlling the Strait of Hormuz, saying Iran is no longer capable of dealing with US forces.