North Korea to permanently close border with South Korea

Anh Vũ |

On October 9, the North Korean military announced that it would permanently close its southern border with South Korea.

AFP reported that on October 9, North Korea announced that it would take a "permanent" step to close its border with South Korea and notify the US military to prevent the possibility of an unintended collision.

A statement from Pyongyang said they would "completely cut off all roads and railways" that were expected to facilitate future travel between the two Koreas.

While North Korea sees this as a "major military move," one analyst said it could just be a continuation of a process that has been in the works for some time.

Inter-Korean relations are at their most tense in years, with North Korea closing down reunification agencies and declaring South Korea its "main enemy."

There had been speculation that North Korea would scrap the 1991 inter-Korean agreement during the parliamentary session that ended on October 8. However, in an official report on October 9, North Korean state media did not mention the termination of the agreement.

Instead, the North Korean military said it would take a "significant military step" by completely cutting off all links with South Korea and bolstering defenses on the southern border.

Pyongyang also said it had sent a message to the US forces to avoid misjudgments and prevent unwanted conflicts over the new defense project in the sensitive border area.

Despite being one of the most heavily militarized borders in the world, a North Korean managed to cross into South Korea in August.

Seoul said that since July, Pyongyang has carried out a series of activities such as planting mines and erecting barriers, turning the area into a "wasteland" along the border. In June, the South Korean military also said that several North Korean soldiers were killed in mine explosion accidents while carrying out border reinforcement missions.

At the same time, South Korea's intelligence agency discovered that North Korea was destroying part of the Donghae railway connecting the two Koreas. Yang Moo-jin, president of the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul, said the destruction was aimed at completely cutting off the connection with South Korea, and the recent announcement was "official confirmation."

Amid rising tensions, Pyongyang said its move was a "self-defense measure" against South Korean military drills and the presence of strategic nuclear assets from the United States.

Anh Vũ
RELATED NEWS

Mystery of a national treasure, a thousand-year-old Buddhist scripture pillar in Ninh Binh

|

Ninh Binh - Ninh Binh Museum is currently preserving the collection of Buddhist scriptures of the Dinh Dynasty, which is a national treasure and still contains many mysteries.

Vietnamese players celebrate Tet, share family moments

|

The players took advantage of the short holiday to reunite with family, visit relatives and save Tet moments with loved ones before returning to the schedule.

Hanoi Police simultaneously check alcohol concentration from the 1st day of Tet

|

Hanoi Police simultaneously launched a campaign to check alcohol concentration, strictly handle violations, and ensure traffic safety on the morning of the 1st day of Binh Ngo Tet 2026.

On the morning of the 1st day of Tet, Van Mieu is bustling with people asking for calligraphy to pray for peace

|

On the morning of the 1st day of Binh Ngo Tet 2026, a large number of people and tourists flocked to Van Mieu to ask for calligraphy at the beginning of the year, offer incense to pray for peace and save spring moments.

Hanoi people go out for Tet with 3 people, not wearing helmets

|

Hanoi - On the 1st day of Tet, people in the Capital are bustling with beautiful clothes to go spring travel, but there are many cases of not wearing helmets.

Mr. Trump declares role in negotiations with Iran

|

Mr. Trump signaled that he would participate in indirect negotiations amid escalating tensions with Iran.

North Korea wants to quickly become a nuclear superpower

Anh Vũ |

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has declared that his country will accelerate its journey to becoming a nuclear-armed military power.

Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of North Korea visits Vietnam

Khánh Minh |

At the Ministry of Foreign Affairs headquarters, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs Bui Thanh Son received Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of North Korea Pak Sang Gil.

Cận cảnh 250 bệ phóng tên lửa hoành tráng của Triều Tiên

Thanh Hà - Hữu Chánh (Nguồn: AFP/KNCA) |

Nhà lãnh đạo Kim Jong-un chủ trì lễ bàn giao 250 bệ phóng tên lửa đạn đạo chiến thuật mới cho "các đơn vị tiền tuyến" của quân đội Triều Tiên.