On November 29, the Venezuelan Foreign Ministry said that US President Donald Trump's comments pose a "threat" to the country's sovereignty. Venezuela said Trump was threatening "national aerial sovereignty and the entire sovereignty of the Venezuelan state".
Trump had previously warned on the social network Truth Social that airlines "must consider the entire airspace above and around Venezuela as cordoned off."
Accordingly, the comments of the US President are part of a "long-term policy of aggression against our country", violating international law and the United Nations Charter - the Venezuelan Foreign Ministry accused, and at the same time asked the US to respect Venezuela's airspace, affirming that it will not accept orders or threats from abroad.
The Venezuelan government said Trump's post had caused all flights to deport migrants to be "unilaterally suspended". Flights to deport illegal migrants to Venezuela have been one of the Trump administration's controversial issues, regarding the program to return illegal immigrants to their homeland.
The Pentagon and the White House have yet to make a statement regarding President Trump's threat to "fence off Venezuelan airspace".
The US military began a drug campaign in the Caribbean in early September and deployed powerful military forces to the area. This raises concerns that Washington intends to overthrow the regime of Venezuelan President Nicolas Putin.
The US forces currently deployed near Venezuela include the Donald R. Ford aircraft carrier combat group, at least 8 surface ships, 1 special forces ship, 1 attack attack Submarine, 8 stealth fighters F-35B, AC-130 attack attack, transport aircraft, MQ-9 drones and more than 15,000 soldiers.
Mr. Trump said on November 27 that "upward" efforts to prevent drug trafficking from Venezuela will soon begin. It is not yet clear whether this statement implies the possibility of the US launching a ground attack on Venezuela or will use long-range weapons to attack drug trafficking suspects. Trump has previously said he could dialogue with his counterpart Maduro, but has not ruled out launching an intervention campaign in Venezuela.