Blatantly destroying special-use forests in broad daylight in Thanh Hoa

Trần Lâm |

Thanh Hoa - About 60 trees in the special-use forest of a special national monument were cut down in broad daylight, but the culprit has not been found in the past few days.

On October 14, speaking to the press, Mr. Dam Van Hung - Director of Thanh Hoa Provincial Forest Protection Branch - said that in the morning of the same day, Mr. Cao Van Cuong - Director of the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) of Thanh Hoa province - directly went to inspect the scene and directed the clarification of the incident in which dozens of special-use forest trees belonging to the Ba Trieu Temple National Special Relic Site (Trieu Loc commune, Hau Loc district, Thanh Hoa province) were suddenly cut down.

According to Mr. Hung, the authorities have identified 60 trees that have been cut down. The inspection and counting work is still underway, so the area and volume of wood that has been cut down have not yet been determined. Hau Loc District Police are investigating the exploitation subject for prosecution.

Regarding the information that the Railway Department and the People's Committee of Trieu Loc Commune allowed the trees to be cut down, Mr. Hung said that the Railway Department has proposed to deal with about 60 trees in the above area. However, it has not been approved by the authorities.

Previously, on the afternoon of October 11, local residents and the press discovered a group of people carrying chainsaws brazenly cutting down trees in the special-use forest area located on Gai Mountain (belonging to the Ba Trieu Temple National Special Monument).

Actual records here show that dozens of trees (mainly acacia and green lim) that are decades old were cut down. In some locations, the trees have been removed from the forest, leaving only stumps, while in some locations, the trees have just been cut down and have not yet been transported out of the forest, lying haphazardly.

Only when the reporter called the authorities did Mr. Le Van Binh - Chairman of the People's Committee of Trieu Loc commune - find out and order the tree cutting to stop. Mr. Binh said that this is a special-use forest, and permission must be obtained to cut a single branch.

Leaders of Trieu Loc Commune People's Committee and Ha Trung District Forest Protection Department (the unit assigned to manage and protect forests in Ha Trung, Nga Son districts, Bim Son town and part of the forest area of ​​Hau Loc district) confirmed that the special-use forest was cut down without permission from any competent authority.

Mr. Trinh Trung Nhat - Head of the Forest Protection Department of Ha Trung district - added that the cutting down of forest trees in the Ba Trieu temple area was carried out by the Railway sector in coordination with the People's Committee of Trieu Loc commune, and the Forest Protection Department was not involved.

However, according to Mr. Dam Van Hung - Branch Manager of Thanh Hoa Province Forestry, the Forestry is also responsible for the incident of the special-use forest being cut down right next to the road, in broad daylight, without the Forestry force knowing.

Mr. Hung explained that, those days, the Forest Rangers were busy dealing with the bird and stork catching problem so they did not detect it in time.

Can canh hien truong rung dac dung tai Di tich Quoc gia dac biet Den ba Trieu bi pha. Anh: Tran Lam
Close-up of the scene of the destruction of the special-use forest at the Ba Trieu Temple National Special Relic. Photo: Tran Lam
Trần Lâm
RELATED NEWS

Hanoi Secretary sets deadline for site clearance for Ring Road 4 project

|

Hanoi - Secretary of the City Party Committee Nguyen Duy Ngoc requested that no later than December 31, 2025, the site must be handed over to the construction unit of the Ring Road 4 project.

Hour 9: Love gambling - Part 1

|

Hour 9 No. 178 - A successful couple but apart, both husband and wife have a "third person". How will they face this marriage tragedy?

Dak Lak bans ships from going out to sea before storm No. 15

|

Dak Lak - Chairman of the People's Committees of coastal communes and wards announced a ban on ships going out to sea and fishing activities at sea, before storm No. 15.

Tomorrow night, storm No. 15 Koto will encounter increased cold air, forecast for upcoming developments

|

Storm No. 15 is still likely to strengthen in the next 24 hours when moving in warm ocean waters.

The new land price list in Hanoi takes effect from January 1, 2026, highest at 702 million VND/m2

|

Hanoi officially applied the new land price list from January 1, 2026, an increase of 2-26% compared to the current land price list.

Two men risked their lives to save hundreds of people during the fierce flood night

|

Dak Lak - Amid the imminent danger, two men risked their lives by rowing a boat to save hundreds of people, becoming a life-and-death support for the whole village in the fierce flood.

Deputy Prime Minister requests to work day and night to fight against counterfeit goods

|

The Deputy Prime Minister requested continuous, regular, and tireless deployment with the spirit of "working day, working night, working extra days off" to fight counterfeit goods.

5 năm, chưa xử lý xong biệt thự không phép trên đất rừng

QUANG ĐẠI |

Nghệ An - Huyện Thanh Chương sau 5 năm vẫn chưa tháo dỡ biệt thự xây dựng không phép trên đất lâm nghiệp do cần rà soát lại các thủ tục, hồ sơ.

A household in Lam Dong encroached on more than 12,000 square meters of forest land

Hoài Thanh |

Lam Dong - The Provincial People's Committee forced a household in Bao Lam district to return about 12,600 square meters of production forest land that was being illegally encroached upon.

Đối tượng bị truy nã về tội phá rừng ở Kon Tum ra đầu thú

THANH TUẤN |

Kon Tum – Biết không thể trốn khỏi lưới pháp luật, Quý đã đã ra đầu thú, khai nhận toàn bộ hành vi phạm tội của mình.