Sinner is banned but not banned from playing

TAM NGUYÊN |

Jannik Sinner tested positive for a banned substance twice earlier this year.

The current world No. 1 male tennis player, Jannik Sinner, tested positive twice for a banned synthetic steroid.

The incident happened in March this year and the Italian tennis player was only deprived of bonuses and points earned at a tournament in Indian Wells, California. However, he was not suspended because an independent court said it was not intentional.

The international tennis integrity agency announced the incident on Tuesday (August 20).

Sinner won the Cincinnati Open on Monday (August 19) and will be one of the brightest contenders at the US Open - Grand Slam will kick off in New York next week.

Sinner took the No. 1 spot on the ATP rankings in June and is considered the top stars of the new generation in men's tennis along with Carlos Alcaraz.

Sinner, who turned 23 last Friday, was also crowned at the Australian Open in January to have his first Grand Slam of his career. He reached the French Open semi-finals in June and the Wimbledon quarter-finals in July, before missing the Paris Olympics due to health problems.

At the Indian Wells hard-court event in March, Sinner tested positive for low levels of the metabolic substance Clostebol, a banned synthetic steroid that can be used for ophthalmic and dermatological purposes.

Sinner tested positive 8 days later in an off- tournament test sample.

The Italian was suspended for those test results, but he successfully appealed and was allowed to continue playing.

According to ITIA, Sinner explained his test results were due to a member of the support team using an over-the-counter spray containing Clostebol to treat a small wound. After that, the group member gave Sinner a massage.

ITIA said it had accepted Sinner's explanation and determined that the violation was not intentional.

An independent panel held a hearing on August 15 and "determined that the No Fault or negligence judgment was applied in this case, leading to no time out of eligibility for competition," according to the ITIA.

TAM NGUYÊN
RELATED NEWS

Sinner has his first title as world No. 1

|

Jannik Sinner's progress over the past year has been very impressive.

Vietnam emerges as a new Asian tiger candidate

|

Vietnam maintains impressive growth momentum, gradually affirming its position as a rising economy in Asia.

Suspected poisoning after eating fermented fish, Ministry of Health requests urgent handling

|

A patient was hospitalized after eating fermented fish. The Ministry of Health requested local authorities to urgently treat and strengthen food poisoning prevention.

Feeling the spring rhythm from Hanoi's largest flower market on the night of the 27th of Tet

|

Hanoi - Late at night on the 27th of Tet, Quang An flower market is still brightly lit, buyers and sellers are busy.

Resolution 57 and new thinking, thinking far, doing big for a powerful Vietnam

|

Resolution 57 enters the "acceleration" phase from 2026 with a focus on innovating thinking, developing based on science, technology, and innovation.

A series of traffic violations of cars, commune police have the right to fine during Tet

|

Readers wonder about what violations the commune police have the right to inspect and handle when stopping cars?

Can Tho Flower Street officially opens, crowded with visitors

|

Can Tho - On the evening of February 14, the People's Committee of Can Tho City officially opened the Can Tho City Art Flower Street Spring Binh Ngo 2026 with the theme "Tet reunion".

Pho Hien Spring Flower Market bustling with buyers and sellers on the eve of Tet

|

Hung Yen - Pho Hien Spring Flower Market Binh Ngo 2026 is bustling with spring colors, crowded with shoppers, spacious space, and convenient traffic during Tet.

Olympic 2024 cùng lúc chia tay cả Sinner và Rune

TAM NGUYÊN |

Môn quần vợt tại Olympic 2024 sẽ không có Jannik Sinner và Holger Rune vì lý do khác nhau.

Sinner has his first title as world No. 1

TAM NGUYÊN |

Jannik Sinner's progress over the past year has been very impressive.

Sinner kết thúc 428 tuần thống trị bảng xếp hạng ATP của Djokovic

TAM NGUYÊN |

Jannik Sinner chính thức trở thành tay vợt nam thứ 29 giữ ngôi đầu bảng xếp hạng ATP.