Iran closes the Strait of Hormuz for the first time after more than 40 years

Thanh Hà |

Iran for the first time announced the temporary closure of the Strait of Hormuz since the 1980s amid tensions with the US.

On February 17, Iran announced the temporary closure of the Strait of Hormuz for the first time since the 1980s.

The Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said that some areas of this strategic maritime route will be blockaded for several hours to serve a live-fire naval exercise.

Previously, on February 15, the IRGC conducted naval exercises in the Strait of Hormuz, northwest of the US aircraft carrier strike group USS Abraham Lincoln. The US aircraft carrier USS Gerald R Ford is also moving towards the Middle East.

Iranian state television broadcast images of cruise missiles being launched at targets within the framework of the exercise.

Iran has never completely closed the Strait of Hormuz, which transports about 21% of global oil, despite repeated threats and measures to disrupt maritime activities.

During the period called the "tanker war" of the 1980s, Iran and Iraq both attacked oil tankers in the Persian Gulf. Iran then deployed naval mines in international waters and used speedboats and missiles to attack ships.

This sea route, only about 39km wide at its narrowest point, is one of the world's most important energy bottlenecks, with about 21 million barrels of oil passing through each day.

Any official shutdown move could cause oil prices to skyrocket and cause serious damage to the global economy.

Closing the Strait of Hormuz also poses risks for Iran itself, because oil exports account for the majority of budget revenue. The blockade of the strait could cause more damage to the Iranian economy than its competitors.

Iranian officials said the blockade could include attacking oil tankers with missiles and drones, even sinking ships to obstruct transport flows.

Also on February 17, in Geneva, Switzerland, the second round of indirect nuclear talks between the US and Iran, mediated by Oman, ended with progress recorded by both sides and further talks will be held.

The nuclear talks took place after the first round in Muscat, Oman on February 6. The US delegation was led by President Donald Trump's special envoy - Steve Witkoff and Mr. Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner, the Iranian side was led by Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi.

Oman Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad bin Hamood Albusaidi mediated the negotiations.

All participating parties confirmed progress when negotiations ended at noon on February 17.

Mr. Albusaidi said that the negotiations have made good progress in identifying common goals and related technical issues. "There is still much to be done, and the parties have taken clear steps before the next meeting," he added.

Mr. Araghchi told Iranian state television IRIB after the talks that the talks in Geneva were held in a more "constructive" atmosphere than the Muscat round of talks. The two sides "reached a common agreement on a range of guiding principles", which is the basis for moving forward and starting work "on the text of a feasible agreement".

The US side said that negotiations with Iran have made progress, but more discussions are still needed on some issues. The Iranian side is expected to return to detailed proposals to resolve the remaining differences in the next 2 weeks.

Thanh Hà
RELATED NEWS

Mr. Trump declares role in negotiations with Iran

|

Mr. Trump signaled that he would participate in indirect negotiations amid escalating tensions with Iran.

The US is preparing for a prolonged anti-Iran campaign

|

The US is currently strengthening its forces amid diplomatic challenges with Iran.

US plans to seize oil tankers, forcing Iran to make nuclear concessions

|

The US administration is considering a tough option of seizing Iranian oil tankers to force Tehran to return to the negotiating table on its nuclear program.

9th Hour No. 189: Reunion - Part 1

|

Hour 9 - A cold home just because the wife gave birth to two daughters. The husband neglects and forces his wife to give birth to a son. What will happen to this family?

The outskirts of Hai Phong are heavily congested, the line of cars going to wish Tet is kilometers long

|

Hai Phong - From noon on the 2nd day of Tet, the roads leading to the outskirts of Tien Lang, Vinh Bao are in a state of congestion, at times congested for hours.

Violating the limit of alcohol concentration but requesting traffic police not to temporarily seize the vehicle

|

Nghe An - Wishing Tet to both paternal and maternal relatives on the 2nd day of Tet, a 54-year-old man in Hop Minh commune violated the limit of alcohol concentration, and was recorded and fined by traffic police.

Gold price update closing session 18. 2: Unexpected reversal, signs of recovery

|

Gold price update closing session 18. 2: World gold prices decreased compared to the previous day but are showing signs of recovery.

Restaurant opens throughout Tet, slightly increases prices to pay employee salaries

|

Hanoi - Many eateries simultaneously adjusted selling prices, slightly increasing compared to normal days to compensate for costs and pay salaries to employees working throughout Tet.

Mr. Trump declares role in negotiations with Iran

Anh Vũ |

Mr. Trump signaled that he would participate in indirect negotiations amid escalating tensions with Iran.

The US is preparing for a prolonged anti-Iran campaign

Anh Vũ |

The US is currently strengthening its forces amid diplomatic challenges with Iran.

US plans to seize oil tankers, forcing Iran to make nuclear concessions

Lam Anh |

The US administration is considering a tough option of seizing Iranian oil tankers to force Tehran to return to the negotiating table on its nuclear program.