Trump's efforts to help Palestinians spark controversy

Bùi Đức |

A group of Arab countries oppose Mr Trump's plan to resettle Palestinians to other areas, saying it brings many potential dangers.

RT reported that after a meeting between top diplomats of the Arab group in Cairo (Egypt) on February 1, the participants unanimously spoke out against US President Donald Trump's plan to resettle Palestinians in Jordan or Egypt.

The meeting was attended by Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Qatar, the Palestinian Authority and the Arab League. All declared their firm opposition to any forced expulsion or migration of Palestinians.

The statement stressed that these actions risk threatening regional stability, increasing conflicts, and undermining prospects for peace and coexistence among peoples.

However, the group of Arab countries still expressed their desire to cooperate with Mr. Trump in building peace in the Middle East, and called on the international community to support a comprehensive reconstruction plan for Gaza to ensure Palestinians can continue to live there.

Previously, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi affirmed that the resettlement of Palestinians was unacceptable. Jordanian Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi also emphasized his country's strong opposition.

Under the plan proposed by Mr. Trump, the US and several Arab countries would cooperate to build homes for about 2.3 million Palestinians at another location. Mr. Trump said that Gaza - the current home of the majority of Palestinians - had been "completely flattened" by the war between Israel and Hamas.

Shortly after tensions between Israel and Hamas erupted in October 2023, the previous administration of US President Joe Biden proposed that Egypt take in Palestinians from Gaza. However, Arab countries also rejected this idea.

Mot khu nha o Dai Gaza bi pha huy hoan toan sau cuoc tan cong cua Israel. Anh: Xinhua
A residential area in the Gaza Strip was completely destroyed after an Israeli attack. Photo: Xinhua

Current situation in Gaza

According to the latest figures from the Gaza Health Ministry, some 47,500 Palestinians have been killed and more than 111,500 injured in the 15-month Israeli offensive in the enclave. Data from the United Nations shows that 90% of Gaza's population has been displaced by the fighting.

According to the United Nations, the more than one-year war between Israel and Hamas has destroyed about 65% of the structures in the Gaza Strip, and at the same time, the economy of this territory has fallen 60 years behind the world.

The Palestinian people's days of living in war began when Hamas launched an attack on the Israeli border area on October 7, 2023, killing 1,200 people and taking 250 hostages.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has continuously mobilized the army to carry out a series of military campaigns in Gaza over the past 15 months to pressure Hamas to return the hostages.

A US-brokered ceasefire is in effect between Israel and Hamas, with prisoner exchanges underway. However, Israeli officials say there are still 79 hostages being held in Gaza, of whom 35 are believed to have died.

Bùi Đức
RELATED NEWS

China says it will sue the US over Trump tariffs

|

China says it will file a lawsuit against the United States at the World Trade Organization over President Donald Trump's tariffs.

America may be alone because of Trump's tax policy

|

President Donald Trump's tariff policies could turn "America First" into "America Alone."

President Trump imposes tariffs on goods from Mexico, Canada, and China

|

On February 1, US President Donald Trump ordered a 25% tax on imports from Canada and Mexico and a 10% tax on goods from China starting February 4.

Harmful short video in cyberspace: Most worrying is the process of "normalizing" the bad

|

Harmful short videos can pose the risk of "normalizing" deviant behaviors in young people's perceptions.

Fire at Ang Son Parish Church in Ninh Binh

|

Ninh Binh - On the evening of August 20, a fire occurred at Ang Son Parish Church in Dai Son street, Tay Hoa Lu ward.

Promoting the intelligence and responsibility of National Assembly deputies belonging to the Front bloc

|

On the afternoon of August 20, at the National Assembly House, the Standing Committee of the Central Committee of the Vietnam Fatherland Front organized a cordial meeting with the participation of leaders of the National Assembly, the Government and the Central Committee of the Vietnam Fatherland Front with National Assembly deputies of the 16th term belonging to the Front bloc at the Central and local levels.

Tornado in Bao Loc, a series of houses had their roofs blown off, and green trees fell

|

Lam Dong - Heavy rain accompanied by tornadoes swept through many wards in Bao Loc, causing dozens of houses to have their roofs blown off, green trees uprooted, and many roads obstructed.

Ho Chi Minh City achieves 98% of textbook demand, publishing houses continue to print additionally

|

Vietnam Education Publishing House said that it has supplied 98% of textbooks according to registered needs in Ho Chi Minh City and is continuing to print more to meet arising needs.

China says it will sue the US over Trump tariffs

Ngọc Vân |

China says it will file a lawsuit against the United States at the World Trade Organization over President Donald Trump's tariffs.

America may be alone because of Trump's tax policy

Ngọc Vân |

President Donald Trump's tariff policies could turn "America First" into "America Alone."

President Trump imposes tariffs on goods from Mexico, Canada, and China

Thanh Hà |

On February 1, US President Donald Trump ordered a 25% tax on imports from Canada and Mexico and a 10% tax on goods from China starting February 4.