Speaking to reporters at Joint Base Andrews on May 20 (US time), Mr. Trump described the situation as "near the boundary" and could escalate very quickly. He emphasized that the US is fully prepared for any scenario if negotiations do not make progress.
Believe me, if we don't get the right answer, everything will happen very quickly. We are ready," Mr. Trump said. When asked how long he would wait, he replied that it could be a few days, but the situation could change very quickly.
6 weeks after Mr. Trump suspended the military campaign called Operation Epic Fury to establish a ceasefire, negotiations to end the fighting have made very little progress. Meanwhile, the sharp increase in fuel prices is affecting the level of support for the US President ahead of the November congressional election.
Mr. Trump continued to affirm his position of not allowing Iran to possess nuclear weapons. The US President declared that Washington is in the "final stage" regarding the Iran issue and emphasized that the US can choose between diplomatic solutions or tougher actions.
I want as few people killed as possible instead of as many people. We can do both ways," Mr. Trump added.
Meanwhile, Iran warned it would respond strongly if the US launched more attacks. The Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps declared that if military action reoccurs, "the promising regional war" will spread beyond the Middle East.
Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf - who is involved in peace talks - said that "public and covert" moves from the opponent show that the US is preparing for new attacks.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said that Tehran is still leaving the door open for negotiations but emphasized that forcing Iran to surrender by pressure is an "illusion". Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei also affirmed that Tehran is pursuing negotiations with "seriousness and goodwill", although there are still "strong and reasonable doubts" about the US's behavior.
Pakistan continues to play a mediating role between the two sides. The Pakistani Interior Minister has arrived in Tehran in the latest diplomatic effort, after the country held its only ever round of peace talks and served as a bridge to convey the message between Washington and Tehran.
Iran has sent a new proposal to the US this week. According to a description from Tehran, the proposal largely reiterates previous requests rejected by Mr. Trump, including controlling the Strait of Hormuz, war reparations, lifting sanctions, freezing assets and withdrawing US troops from the region.
Tensions in the Strait of Hormuz continue to strongly affect the global energy market. Iran has almost blockaded this maritime route with all foreign ships since the US and Israel launched military operations in late February. In response, the US blockaded Iranian ports last month.