Finland refuses to release oil tanker suspected of cutting cables in Baltic

Thanh Hà |

Finland has detained the Eagle S oil tanker on suspicion of severing the Finland-Estonia Estlink 2 power cable.

A Finnish court on January 3 rejected a request to release an oil tanker that police suspect damaged underground power lines and severed four telecommunications cables in the Baltic Sea.

Last week, Finland seized the Eagle S tanker carrying Russian oil on suspicion that it had damaged the Finland-Estonia Estlink 2 power line and telecommunications cables by dragging its anchor on the seabed.

A lawyer representing Caravella LLC FZ, a United Arab Emirates-based company that owns the tanker, has sought to have the ship and its crew released.

"This district court has rejected the defendant's request, which means that this arrest warrant remains in effect," Helsinki District Court Judge Tatu Koistinen announced on January 3.

Finnish lawyer Herman Ljungberg - who represents Caravella - said the company now plans to make new moves to get the Eagle S released.

The Finnish National Bureau of Investigation seized the Eagle S while Finnish customs authorities seized 35,000 tonnes of oil on board pending an investigation into whether the tanker violated sanctions against Russia.

Finnish customs authorities believe the Eagle S belongs to a shadow fleet of vessels used to evade Russian oil sanctions.

Lawyer Ljungberg accused Finland of seizing the Eagle S in international waters. His legal filing called for transparency about the location of the seizure. However, the Finnish court rejected this argument.

The Eagle S is registered in the Cook Islands. It is currently being towed to a bay near the Finnish port of Porvoo. Finnish police are gathering evidence and questioning the crew. The crew of the ship suspected of cutting the cables in the Baltic are citizens of Georgia and India.

Finnish police said eight crew members are suspects in the investigation.

On the same day, January 3, Sweden said it would send a military ship to support Finland's investigation.

"The Swedish Armed Forces are contributing to helping Finland clarify what happened," Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson stressed.

The Baltic Sea countries have been on high alert after a series of power outages, cable breaks and gas pipeline sabotage since the Russia-Ukraine conflict broke out in 2022, including the sabotage of the Nord Stream pipeline in September 2022.

Last week, NATO said it would increase its presence in the region. The European Union also announced enhanced measures to protect submarine cables through improved intelligence sharing and new detection and repair technologies.

Thanh Hà
TIN LIÊN QUAN

Russian tanker suspected of causing undersea power cable failure

|

The Russian tanker is suspected of being involved in the undersea power cable break between Finland and Estonia.

China talks about the cable break near Nord Stream

|

In the investigation into the cable break near Nord Stream in the Baltic Sea, China affirmed that it had provided information and documents to the parties.

Finland updates on the main suspect in the Baltic gas pipeline disruption

|

The investigation into the Balticconnector gas pipeline damage in the Baltic Sea has determined that Chinese container ships are still the main focus.

The April 30 celebration will feature fireworks displays

|

Ho Chi Minh City - The Ho Chi Minh City People's Committee has just announced a master plan for organizing activities to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Liberation of the South and National Reunification Day (April 30, 1975 - April 30, 2025).

People are thirsty for clean water next to a large unused water depot

|

Dak Lak - Many people in Buon Ma Thuot city are lacking clean water, while there are still water plants that only operate at 15-20% capacity, causing great waste.

Fire in Ho Chi Minh City, mother dies while returning to save her child

|

HCMC - At the time of the fire, the mother rushed to take her young child out and returned home to save the old son. Unfortunately, the house collapsed, both mother and child and the brother died.

Russia suddenly blocks oil exports from neighbor

|

Russia has ordered the closure of two of Kazakhstan's three Black Sea oil export ports, seriously reducing the country's export capacity.

Phong Chau Bridge pillars have been revealed

|

Phu Tho - The bridge piers of the new Phong Chau bridge project have begun to take shape after the construction unit completed the construction of bored piles.

Russian tanker suspected of causing undersea power cable failure

Song Minh |

The Russian tanker is suspected of being involved in the undersea power cable break between Finland and Estonia.

China talks about the cable break near Nord Stream

Thanh Hà |

In the investigation into the cable break near Nord Stream in the Baltic Sea, China affirmed that it had provided information and documents to the parties.

Finland updates on the main suspect in the Baltic gas pipeline disruption

Thanh Hà |

The investigation into the Balticconnector gas pipeline damage in the Baltic Sea has determined that Chinese container ships are still the main focus.