Chinese authorities are urgently deploying rescue and investigation efforts after a serious gas explosion at a coal mine in Shanxi province, northern China, causing the death toll to skyrocket to 90. This is considered one of the most serious coal mining accidents in China in the past decade.
According to China Central Television CCTV, the explosion occurred at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shenyuan County, Shanxi Province. Previously, Xinhua News Agency reported that the accident occurred on the evening of May 22, when a total of 247 workers were working underground.
Initial information shows that more than 200 people have been safely brought to the surface. However, state media later confirmed that the death toll had increased sharply, to 90 people. Xinhua News Agency did not explain the cause of the large change in casualty figures in a short time.
Rescue forces are still continuing to search and handle the scene of the accident. The local emergency management agency in Tham Nguyen district said that the cause of the explosion is still under investigation.
Chinese President Xi Jinping has asked functional agencies to "not spare any effort" in treating the injured and deploying search and rescue operations. According to Xinhua News Agency, Mr. Xi Jinping also directed a comprehensive investigation into the cause of the accident, and requested strict responsibility according to legal regulations.
Chinese Premier Li Qiang also issued a similar directive, emphasizing the requirement to promptly and accurately disclose information about the incident. He also requested strict legal responsibility to relevant parties.
Xinhua News Agency said that the executives of the Liushenyu coal mine company were arrested after the accident. This move shows that Chinese authorities are increasing pressure on mining businesses in the context of public concern about the safety level in the coal industry.