According to the Gaza Ministry of Health, the attack took place on March 23, targeting the surgical department of Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis. Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz confirmed that the target of the airstrike was Mr. Barhoum, and Hamas also confirmed that he was killed.
Hamas' Al-Aqsa TV had previously reported that Barhoum was being treated at the hospital. Images and videos on social media showed the fire burning on the third floor of the building, which was believed to be an airstrike area.
The Israeli military said the attack was based on extensive intelligence and used precise weapons to minimize damage.
Previously, another Hamas leader, Salah Al-Bardawil, was killed in a separate airstrike in Khan Younis on March 22. Hamas confirmed Al-Bardawil's death, and the Israeli military also confirmed the attack.
The two leaders of Barhoum and Al-Bardawil are both members of Hamas' 19-person political office. According to Hamas, since the war began in late 2023, 11 members of the office have been killed.
On the morning of March 23, large explosions continued to resound throughout the northern, central and southern Gaza Strip as Israeli airstrikes increased in intensity. At least 45 Palestinians were killed in airstrikes in Rafah and Khan Younis on the same day, according to health agencies.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the goal of the military campaign was to destroy Hamas as a military and political entity. The Israeli air and ground operations, which had already broken the ceasefire, were aimed at pressuring Hamas to release the remaining hostages.