On March 21 (local time), US State Department spokeswoman Tammy Bruce declined to comment on the stance of the Trump administration over Israel Defense Minister Israel Katz's statement on the possibility of merging some areas in the Gaza Strip.
Previously, Mr. Israel Katz said that if the Hamas movement continues to refuse to release hostages, Israel will expand the buffer zone around Gaza and merge strategic areas to protect Israeli soldiers and civilians.
"The more Hamas refuses to release hostages, the more territory it will lose," Katz stressed. He also affirmed that Israel will maintain a long-term military presence in the area if its demands are not met.
Responding to the above situation, the US State Department spokesperson did not comment on Israel's ability to occupy Gaza. However, the spokesperson said Hamas must be held responsible for Israel's continued military campaign in Gaza, stressing that the movement should have accepted the US proposal to extend phase 1 of the ceasefire.
The US State Department's refusal to express its views on the issue is seen as a difference from the stance of the previous Joe Biden administration, which opposed all moves to annex Israel's Gaza territory.
Currently, Hamas is holding 59 hostages, of which 58 were arrested in the attack on southern Israel on October 7, 2023, 1 person was arrested earlier. According to information from the Israeli military, 24 of these hostages are believed to be alive.