Pentagon reveals real US troop numbers in Syria

Anh Vũ |

The Pentagon has just announced that the US currently has 2,000 troops in Syria, double the number of 900 soldiers previously announced by the government.

According to information from Pentagon spokesman Major General Pat Ryder, these additional troops are considered temporary forces, deployed to support the mission against gunmen of the self-proclaimed Islamic State (IS).

At a press conference on December 19 (local time), Major General Ryder admitted that he did not know how long the 2,000 troops would be maintained, but it was likely to last at least several months and appear before the collapse of the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

"I just learned this number today... As the one who told you there were 900 soldiers, I want to provide the most accurate information," he said.

When asked about the time of deployment of this number of troops, Mr. Ryder did not give a specific milestone but emphasized: "It can be said that the additional troops have been going on for at least many months."

For years, the US has publicly stated that it has 900 troops in Syria. Their main mission is to work with local forces to prevent the resurgence of the Islamic State group, which seized large parts of Iraq and Syria in 2014 before being pushed back.

The Biden administration has said the US military will remain in Syria. However, President-elect Donald Trump may decide to withdraw troops from Syria when he takes office on January 20, 2025. During his first term, Trump tried to withdraw troops from Syria but faced opposition from officials and ultimately kept some troops.

Earlier this month, Syrian opposition forces overthrew President Assad’s government and took control of the capital, Damascus. The US military continues to conduct airstrikes against IS militants.

This is not the first time in recent years that the Pentagon has had to adjust the number of troops deployed. In 2017, the US military revealed that there were 11,000 troops in Afghanistan, significantly more than the previously announced number.

Anh Vũ
RELATED NEWS

Russia's economic growth surpasses the US and China, leading Europe

|

Russian President Vladimir Putin said that Russia leads economic growth in Europe according to international organizations.

US releases report on China's nuclear arsenal

|

China has nearly tripled its nuclear arsenal since 2020, according to a US Department of Defense report.

Trump and Elon Musk join forces to demand a US government shutdown

|

President-elect Donald Trump called for a US government shutdown after Elon Musk criticized the temporary funding bill.

Service car driver suspected of stroke dies, car plunges into rice field

|

Nghe An - A 57-year-old service car driver showed signs of unconsciousness while driving, causing the car to plunge into a rice field. The victim was later determined to have died.

Cave of pangolin weighing nearly 7kg discovered on a residential road in Nghe An

|

Nghe An - A pangolin weighing nearly 7kg was discovered on a people's road and handed over to functional agencies to be taken to Pu Mat National Park for rescue.

Black market tickets for the Vietnam vs Malaysia semi-final second leg of the ASEAN Cup increased rapidly

|

Vietnam's 2-0 victory over Malaysia caused the demand for watching the second leg at My Dinh to increase rapidly, and ticket prices on the black market increased many times over.

Reaching nearly 43%, Vinh Long accelerates free health check-ups for all people

|

Vinh Long - Free health check-ups for more than 1.4 million people, reaching nearly 43% of the population, a sharp increase compared to the previous month.

Russia's economic growth surpasses the US and China, leading Europe

Ngọc Vân |

Russian President Vladimir Putin said that Russia leads economic growth in Europe according to international organizations.

US releases report on China's nuclear arsenal

Khánh Minh |

China has nearly tripled its nuclear arsenal since 2020, according to a US Department of Defense report.

Trump and Elon Musk join forces to demand a US government shutdown

Ngọc Vân |

President-elect Donald Trump called for a US government shutdown after Elon Musk criticized the temporary funding bill.