According to AFP, the Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) of the Royal Thai Army and local media said that a total of 51 arson and explosions occurred throughout the south of the country from about 8 pm to midnight on August 22 (local time).
The incidents caused damage to 1 government building, 1 car to be burned and 1 convenience store to be vandalized.
Two people were injured in attacks in Narathiwat province. Two neighboring provinces, Yala and Pattani, were also affected.
Narathiwat special forces announced the application of a provincial curfew from 10:15 PM on August 22nd to 6:00 AM on August 23rd. People are only allowed to leave their homes in case of emergency and must be permitted by the army, police or local authorities.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks.
Narathiwat Governor Boonchuay Homyamyen said that the authorities are investigating the incident, including attacks targeting local government offices and telecommunications towers and power poles.
Southern provinces of Thailand have recorded attacks targeting security forces and government facilities for many years. Last month, the subjects killed 5 soldiers in a gun and bomb attack targeting a checkpoint in Narathiwat.
A statement from the Office of Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul on August 22 stated that he and cabinet members are scheduled to pay a 2-day visit to Hat Yai city, Songkhla province in southern Thailand next week to discuss investment projects, flood prevention and security issues.
