Sinner sacks coach and doctor

TAM NGUYÊN |

Jannik Sinner fired both the coach and the therapist amid a dispute over banned substances.

World No. 1 Jannik Sinner has announced that he has fired his coach and physiotherapist. The decision came after controversy over his escape from the ban despite a positive test result for banned substances in March 2024.

The Italian tennis player tested positive for steroid clostebol, after physical therapist Giacomo Naldi sprayed an over-the-counter medication on his hand cut before treating Sinner.

Coach umberto Ferrara was the one who gave Naldi the spray. clostebol steroids can be used to increase muscle mass.

The Australian Open champion was found not guilty, as an independent court accepted Sinner's explanation that he had been accidentally contaminated with this substance by Naldi.

The tests were released on Tuesday (September 20), just one day after the 23-year-old won his fifth title of the year at the Cincinnati Open.

Theyve played a big part in my career, Sinner said at his press conference ahead of the 2024 US Open.

"We did incredible things, brought a lot of success and then there was a great team that supported me.

Now, because of these mistakes, I am no longer confident to continue. I have struggled a lot in recent months. I am waiting for the result. The only thing I need right now is a little fresh air".

Sinner's case has created a storm of controversy considering that other doping players are often suspended during the investigation.

Sinner has repeatedly maintained his innocence and said he can continue playing because his team has quickly determined the cause of the infection.

"The reason I can play is because we know where that substance is and how it goes into my body," he said, "It's very important, do this process, so you let them know and they understand right away."

When asked if he was concerned about the damage the controversy could do to his reputation, Sinner said: "In my mind, I know I did nothing wrong. anyone who knows me well knows that I have never done anything and I will never do anything against the regulations.

In terms of reputation, we see progress, right? Because of this, I really couldn't control it."

Many current and former players have spoken out about the so-called double standard, questioning why Sinner was not immediately suspended like others who tested positive.

Among them, Chris Evert, an analyst at ESPN and a former 18 major winner, said: "I think they protect top players. I think there are some protections there, better than if you were Joe Smith, ranked 400th in the world."

Frances Tiafoe - the last player to face Sinner before the news broke out, avoiding getting into controversy.

"Government agencies do what they have to do. Obviously, he was allowed to play and that was important. I'm just trying to focus on the US Open," he said.

TAM NGUYÊN
RELATED NEWS

Jannik Sinner should be banned from playing for 2 years

|

Nick Kyrgios believes Jannik Sinner should be banned from playing when he tested positive for a banned substance.

Sinner is banned but not banned from playing

|

Jannik Sinner tested positive for a banned substance twice earlier this year.

Nearly 200 workers in Son La are waiting to be paid salaries near Tet

|

Son La - Nearly 200 workers in Chieng Khoong commune are waiting for the construction unit of the Primary - Secondary Inter-level Boarding School Project to pay wages on the eve of Tet.

Holding 1 million VND, still can't buy 1kg of Ca Mau crab on the eve of Tet

|

Some Ca Mau crabs have exceeded the 1 million VND/kg mark in the days leading up to the Binh Ngo Lunar New Year 2026.

Workers wake up at 4 am, excitedly returning to their hometowns on a trade union bus

|

Hai Phong - On the morning of February 14, hundreds of workers boarded a bus to return to their hometowns to celebrate Tet organized by the Trade Union of Yazaki Hai Phong Vietnam Co., Ltd.

Fishing boats dock at the end of the year, ready for the first spring sea trip

|

Can Tho - After many long days of sticking to the fishing grounds, fishermen's fishing boats have returned to shore to celebrate Tet and prepare for the first sea trip of the new year.

Rainy and cold weather in Hanoi due to cold air during the Binh Ngo Tet 2026

|

Forecast from the 27th to the 29th of Tet, Hanoi's weather during the day is quite warm. However, from the night of the 29th of Tet, the weather is likely to turn rainy and cold due to cold air.

Tan Son Nhat airport is crowded with people returning home for Tet on the 27th of Tet

|

Ho Chi Minh City - On February 14, Tan Son Nhat airport entered the peak period of the Lunar New Year with a record number of passengers, expected to be nearly 160,000 people.

Sinner bị trừ điểm, vì sao Djokovic không lên số 1?

TAM NGUYÊN |

Nhiều thắc mắc liên quan đến việc vì sao Novak Djokovic không giành lại vị trí số 1 ATP sau khi Jannik Sinner bị trừ điểm.

Jannik Sinner should be banned from playing for 2 years

TAM NGUYÊN |

Nick Kyrgios believes Jannik Sinner should be banned from playing when he tested positive for a banned substance.

Sinner is banned but not banned from playing

TAM NGUYÊN |

Jannik Sinner tested positive for a banned substance twice earlier this year.