"He looks like my son"
Without realizing the danger, Harry Athwal ran out of the restaurant where he was having dinner and hugged a boy who had just been hit by a truck. He told The Mirror: "The boy was unconscious, his leg was crooked, and blood was flowing from his head. I checked and found that the circuit was no longer damaged."
The 44-year-old, a Spaniard, is on a trip with his family to celebrate his son's 8th birthday. Because it was not yet time to take a room on August 17, the whole family decided to go to lunch on the Las Ramblas Boulevard.
From the restaurant's outdoor area, the whole family witnessed the horrifying event when a terrorist drove a truck into a crowded crowd on the Las Ramblas Boulevard, Barcelona center.
After instructing his wife and children to sit down, Mr. Harry Athwal ran out to help. Talking about the scene before his eyes at that time, he said: "I looked around me, scattered with bodies. On the right side of me, I have this child lying in the middle of the road. I ran straight to the boy."
He added: "For me, the boy looks like my son, only 7 or 8 years old. I ran over and touched her hair and comforted her."
Police have urged the 44-year-old man to stay away from the street but he cannot leave the boy alone. There were many bodies and injured people lying on the sidewalk, so Mr. Harry Athwal called for medical staff to come and help. He said they looked shocked to see the boy.
The 44-year-old father shared that he did not know the boy's condition at the moment but felt comforted to know that the boy was not alone in that painful moment.
Many sources said the boy could be Julian Cadman, an Australian citizen. The 7-year-old's father arrived in Barcelona this morning (August 20) to find a son.
Spanish authorities said all the victims and injured had been found since the attack. Julian Cadman, the boy's father, was taken to a forensic facility where the victims are being identified.
The Sydney boy was on the Las Ramblas Boulevard with his mother Jumarie when the terrorists crashed into a crowd of pedestrians. The boy's mother is still in critical condition at Vell d'Hebron Hospital in Barcelona.
Maintaining anti-terrorism warning levels at level 4
The terrorists carried out a killing spree that killed 14 people and injured 130 in two attacks in Las Ramblas, Barcelona, and at the resort in Cambrils, about 120km from Barcelona, on August 17. Police have killed five attackers in Cambrils. A group of 12 terrorists are believed to be behind the double attack that shook Spain.
The police said the group had planned a larger-scale attack, but an explosion in a house in the town of Alcanar, near Barcelona, destroyed the necessary equipment.
The Spanish interior minister said the terrorist group had been dismantled but police were still searching for the leader behind the two attacks.
In relevant developments, the terrorist group IS claimed responsibility for the attack in Cambrils on August 19. Previously, through the propaganda agency IS declared the group's "wellers" behind the crash in Las Ramblas, Barcelona.
The Spanish government has decided to maintain the anti-terrorism warning level at level 4 on a 5-level scale, following the double attack in Barcelona and Cambrils.