Rotten thatched roof
Lao Dong Newspaper reporter's record at Phan Boi Chau Memorial Area (No. 119 Phan Boi Chau, Thuan Hoa ward, Hue city) is currently closed, not welcoming guests.
This is a project built in 1926, after many years it has deteriorated and was restored and embellished in 1997. However, nearly 30 years after this restoration, many items continue to be clearly damaged.
The thatched roof is the most noticeably degraded area. Many patches of thatch are rotten, peeling and largely torn, forming gaps for light to enter inside. Some locations on the roof are almost unable to cover as initially.

Below, patches of walls made of bamboo panels plastered with mortar also show many signs of damage. Bamboo bars burst out of the structure, plaster layers peeled off and fell in some locations. If not handled, these damages may continue to spread, affecting the structure and value of the project.
Inside the house, many items are restored to recreate the living and working space of Mr. Phan Boi Chau, which is also inevitably affected by time and preservation conditions. The space inside the building shows a shortage of preservation conditions during the closing period.

It is known that the house has been temporarily suspended from welcoming guests since May 2025 to carry out periodic preservation work. However, to date, the project has not been repaired, while many items continue to degrade.
This situation makes many people and tourists regret when a project associated with the life of patriot Phan Boi Chau has to close for a long time.
Waiting for completion of repair procedures
The house is located within the Phan Boi Chau Memorial Area - a relic complex including the tomb, Mr. Phan's church, the ancestral temple of martyrs and the stele "Tu Minh" in Chinese characters written by Mr. Phan himself in 1934.
The housing project was built in 1926 according to the design of Mr. Phan Boi Chau. The construction was chaired by Mr. Vo Liem Son, a teacher at Quoc Hoc Hue School.
The house has three compartments, believed to symbolize the three regions of North - Central - South. The building has folk architecture with thatched roofs, earthen walls, creating a cool space. The middle compartment has a square plan, once where Mr. Phan gave speeches, while the porches are arranged as living spaces.

Phan Boi Chau Memorial Area is ranked as a national historical relic according to Decision No. 575/QD-VH dated May 14, 1990 of the Ministry of Culture and Information (now the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism).
The relic is also meaningful in Vietnam - Japan relations. In March 2017, during a state visit to Vietnam, Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko visited the memorial area.
Talking to a reporter from Lao Dong Newspaper, Mr. Nguyen Duc Loc - Director of Hue City Museum of History, said that the thatched house part is an item that needs to be prioritized for repair.
The dossier for maintenance and restoration of the project is currently being consulted by the Department of Finance and the Department of Construction. After completing the relevant procedures, the unit will deploy repairs and preservation of the house.
