Telecommunications market before 2G shutdown

KHÁNH AN |

In just one day, 2G services will be discontinued in Vietnam. Network operators said they will block devices after October 15 but reserve accounts to give customers time to switch.

Reserve your account

Previously, the Ministry of Information and Communications (MIC) set a target of completing the discontinuation of 2G technology by September 15, 2024 at the latest. This is the expiration date of mobile telecommunications service business licenses and radio frequency band licenses, to comply with the radio frequency planning orientation.

However, on September 13, the Ministry of Information and Communications decided to postpone the 2G shutdown to October 15. The postponement of the 2G shutdown is to have more time to devote resources to overcoming the consequences of storm No. 3 and the flood situation after the storm, and to support the conversion of 4G phones for 2G only subscribers, especially subscribers in remote areas and provinces and cities affected by storms and floods, to ensure communication for users.

According to statistics from network operators, as of October 11, Vietnam still has about 700,000 subscribers using devices that only support 2G network (2G Only). Of which, Viettel Telecom is 360,000, Vinaphone 150,000, MobiFone under 50,000 and Vietnam Mobile about 10,000...

Mr. Nguyen Trong Tinh - Deputy General Director of Viettel Telecom said that the remaining subscribers are mostly in rural, mountainous, remote and most difficult areas. The target customers are usually the elderly and those who have little need to use the service.

Mr. Nguyen Dinh Dung - Deputy Head of MobiFone Telecommunications Services Department - said that after October 15, MobiFone will block the device but still retain the account and subscription for customers, so that customers have time to switch, ensuring the preservation of the customer's account.

Mr. Do Manh Dung - Acting Director of the Personal Customer Department of VNPT VinaPhone also confirmed that all subscribers will have their accounts reserved after October 15. VinaPhone will continue to maintain the policy of giving away and supporting devices to customers, continue to support customers at VinaPhone locations, as well as directly at home for customers to use services such as: Changing SIM cards, instructions for use, experiencing data to access the network, etc.

General trend of the world

According to Mr. Nguyen Phong Nha, Deputy Director of Telecommunications, the process of stopping 2G technology is divided into 2 phases: The first phase from October 15 will stop providing 2G subscriber terminal services; the second phase is until September 2026, stopping all 2G network provision to reserve resources for newer networks such as 4G, 5G. Turning off old technology such as 2G, 3G is a common trend in the world.

“2G technology has been used for 30 years, many network devices have degraded quality, consume a lot of electricity, and are unstable, so replacement is inevitable when new technology is ready. This is the consensus and practical requirement of production and business” - Mr. Nha said.

Users have the choice of a smartphone or a 4G push-button phone. Carriers have programs to encourage switching to smartphones, or to exchange 2G push-button phones for 4G push-button phones for free for users who are not familiar with smartphones.

According to Deputy Director of Telecommunications, in January 2024, Vietnam had more than 18 million 2G subscribers. At present, there are only about 700,000 devices left. This is a huge effort to maintain network quality, develop 5G network as well as maintain production and business. Enterprises have shown responsibility in reducing the number of 2G subscribers.

Mr. Nha suggested that network operators continue to implement customer care policies to support customers in switching subscribers, ensuring consumer rights.

In addition to the efforts of businesses (the more subscribers a business has in remote areas, the harder it is), there is also the participation of media agencies, newspapers, and television to accompany the communication of the policies of the Ministry of Information and Communications.

KHÁNH AN
RELATED NEWS

Mailisa beauty salon building in Ho Chi Minh City closes after announcement of temporary suspension of operations

|

HCMC - Mailisa Beauty salon on Huynh Van Banh Street (HCMC) closed after announcing a temporary suspension of operations throughout the system.

US reviews all green cards from 19 countries after shooting that killed bodyguards

|

The US has said it will review all green cards issued to immigrants from 19 countries that were classified as "concerned" after the shooting that killed one National Guard officer.

Excitedly receiving support to rebuild roofs after being torn apart by floods

|

Gia Lai - After the storm and flood, Mr. Ho Thanh Hai's abandoned house was helped by the Lao Dong Golden Heart Fund - Lao Dong Newspaper to rebuild a shelter and recover after the natural disaster.

Premier League copyright changes and Vietnamese television market problem

|

The Premier League's change of copyright owner in Vietnam will put the television market into a problem of competition, monopoly and business efficiency in the context of increasing copyright costs.

High waves flood into Nha Trang coast

|

Khanh Hoa - Storm No. 15 has not yet reached the shore, but in some areas in Nha Trang, winds have been recorded, waves about 5m high, hitting the seawall area directly.

Mr. Putin said that a peace treaty with Ukraine cannot be signed at this time

|

Amid the disruption of information about peace proposals, Russian President Vladimir Putin affirmed that the agreement with Ukraine is currently legally impossible.

Hong Kong apartment fire (China): Fire flares up again, at least 94 people killed

|

At least 94 people died when the fire at an apartment building in Hong Kong (China) was not completely extinguished.

Nghe An nearly doubles the assigned social housing target

|

Nghe An - Nghe An province has nearly doubled the assigned targets, becoming a bright spot in the speed of implementing social housing projects.

Spirit of service in Viettel's 2G to 4G conversion campaign

Mimi Trần |

In early September 2024, Viettel still had nearly 1 million customers using 2G phones, a significant decrease compared to the 8 million at the beginning of the year. The efforts in the final stage to ensure that 100% of customers do not have their communication interrupted when the whole country officially stops providing 2G services most comprehensively reflect Viettel's spirit of service. This is even more meaningful when placed in the context of the network operator aiming to celebrate 20 years of mobile service business (October 15, 2004 - October 15, 2024).

Chính thức lùi lịch tắt sóng 2G

KHÁNH AN |

Lịch tắt sóng 2G được lùi sang ngày 15.10, trong bối cảnh cả nước còn khoảng 3,4 triệu thuê bao chỉ sử dụng công nghệ 2G (2G only).

Xem xét lùi thời gian ngừng cung cấp dịch vụ cho thuê bao 2G

KHÁNH AN |

Bộ TTTT đang thẩm định, xem xét kéo dài thời hạn thực hiện việc ngừng cung cấp dịch vụ cho thuê bao 2G only.