The shocking incident occurred at Ouya Andrology Hospital in Ngan Xuyen City, Gansu Province, northwest China.
The man surnamed Liu was forced to sweep his credit card while undergoing circumcision surgery, after doctors said he had discovered other diseases that needed immediate treatment.
Southern Metropolis Daily quoted the local police's investigation report on December 24 as saying that the patient, surnamed Liu, spent 32 times more than the usual circumcision procedure, because the doctors only agreed to suture the wound when the transaction was complete.
According to Ngan Xuyen police, the above private hospital is protected by a criminal gang. Dozens of patients have called local consumer associations, complaining about being forced to pay between surgeries.
A man whose son also underwent circumcision surgery at a hospital told China's CCTV that his son was forced to pay more than 21,000 yuan (nearly 70 million VND) for a procedure of only 1,580 yuan (5 million VND).
The father said that surgeons told his son during the surgery that he had some serious problems that could lead to infertility if not treated. His son panicked and agreed to that price.
Another patient named Ma said that doctors advised him that circumcision surgery would only cost about a thousand yuan, but the next day, he was informed of a serious infection and had to undergo two more surgeries for treatment.
Ma's family was skeptical and said they did not have enough money for the day. They paid the 6,000 yuan bill and took Ma to a public hospital for re-examination. Here, the doctors said that Ma did not have the diseases that the hospital told him.
Ma Xiaofei, Director of the Ngan Xuyen Health Department, told CCTV that the government has conducted an annual inspection of Ouya Hospital since 2016 and issued a penalty decision every year.
Mr. Ma said that they have asked the hospital to temporarily close a few times to conduct reform.
After conducting an expanded investigation involving more than 100 victims in six provinces, Ngan Xuyen police arrested more than 50 people from the hospital's protection gang, between June and November.
The suspects are believed to be involved in more than 43 cases.
11 hospital staff, aged 19 to 65, were also arrested and are considered the main suspect.
Zhou Yuguang, former Director of the Ngan Xuyen Health Department, is the one who covered up the criminal group - according to the Ngan Xuyen Propaganda Department.
Zhou was invited to a number of parties organized by the criminal group and ignored the standards when inspecting the hospital, causing people to suffer economic losses, the Ngan Xuyen Propaganda Department said in a notice last week.
Zhou was dismissed by the city's Disciplinary Inspection Commission and the national supervision Commission on November 1, and placed on a two-year probation for violations.