Israel launches heavy airstrikes on Lebanon's capital

Thanh Hà |

Israeli airstrikes on the Lebanese capital Beirut on the night of October 3 to the morning of October 4 targeted Hezbollah leader Hashem Safieddine.

A senior Israeli official told CNN that Israeli airstrikes in Beirut targeted senior Hezbollah official Hashem Safieddine.

Safieddine was a potential successor to the late Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah, who was killed in an Israeli airstrike last week. It is not yet clear whether Safieddine was killed in the airstrike.

Israeli air strikes against Hezbollah have caused large explosions just outside Beirut International Airport, the BBC reports. The airport borders the Hezbollah stronghold of Dahieh in the Lebanese capital.

Two Lebanese soldiers were killed in the south of the country as Israeli forces continued to attack Hezbollah and ordered the evacuation of 20 other towns and villages, the Lebanese army said.

Two deadly attacks targeted the Lebanese army just hours apart on October 3 - the third day since Israel launched a ground war in Lebanon.

In the first attack, one soldier was killed and another was wounded in the village of Taybeh. In the second attack, another soldier was killed in an Israeli attack on an army barracks in the Bint Jbeil area.

The news came as the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) ordered residents of about 20 other towns and villages in southern Lebanon, including the regional capital Nabatieh, to evacuate immediately for safety.

Unlike the evacuation order on October 1, these areas are all located north of the Litani River, about 30km from the border.

Before Israel launched its ground offensive into Lebanon, Israel demanded that Hezbollah withdraw to Litani - the location set by the UN Security Council resolution to end the 2006 war.

The latest Israeli airstrikes on Beirut came 24 hours after a residential building in the centre of the capital was hit. A civil defence agency linked to Hezbollah said seven rescue workers were among the nine people killed in the strike.

Two weeks of Israeli air strikes and other attacks against Hezbollah in Lebanon have killed more than 1,300 people and displaced more than 1 million, according to local officials.

Israel launched a counter-offensive against Hezbollah in Lebanon after nearly a year of cross-border fighting since the war broke out in Gaza. Israel said the goal of the operation was to ensure the safe return of residents of border areas displaced by Hezbollah's rockets, ballistic missiles and drones.

According to CNN's latest update on the Israel-Hezbollah conflict, Israel accused Hezbollah of launching about 230 rockets from Lebanon into Israeli territory on October 3. Meanwhile, Hezbollah claimed to have carried out 32 different attacks throughout the day, including firing rockets at Israeli settlements and military bases as well as attacking Israeli soldiers during a ground operation in southern Lebanon.

Thanh Hà
RELATED NEWS

Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol receives life imprisonment

|

Seoul Central Court sentenced former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol to life imprisonment on charges of leading a rebellion.

Hanoi handles 1,215 cases of alcohol concentration violations during Tet

|

Hanoi - In 5 days of Lunar New Year, traffic police controlled nearly 59,000 vehicles, handling 1,215 cases of alcohol concentration violations.

Ukraine resolutely does not concede Donbass, negotiations deadlocked

|

President Zelensky affirmed that Ukraine is determined not to concede Donbass territory, and peace negotiations are becoming deadlocked.

2 dead, 2 missing in boat capsizing on the Gianh River

|

Quang Tri - The boat capsizing on the Gianh River killed 2 people, rescued 3 people, and functional forces are searching for 2 missing people.

Strawberry prices plummet during Tet, Son La farmers worried

|

Son La - Strawberries ripen red in the fields but prices hit rock bottom, labor costs increase. Many gardens open for everyone to pick for free, farmers are worried about losses.

Rabbit ơi!!" reaches 100 billion VND after nearly 3 days, Tran Thanh dominates Tet box office

|

Just nearly 3 days after officially hitting theaters from the 1st to the afternoon of the 3rd day of Tet, Tran Thanh's movie "Thỏ ơi!!" reached 100 billion VND in revenue.

Hai Phong center attracts tourists during Tet, photographers earn millions of VND per day

|

The Opera House and the central flower carpet of Hai Phong City are always the most brilliant check-in locations "hunted" by many tourists.

Iran's Biggest Attack on Israel

Thanh Hà |

On the morning of October 2, Iran announced that the missile attack on Israel on the night of October 1 had ended unless there were further provocations against the country.

Hezbollah's arsenal shattered by Israel's repeated blows

Thanh Hà |

Israel has destroyed half of Hezbollah's weapons stockpile, US and Israeli officials say.

Iranian general threatens more severe attacks on Israel

Thanh Hà |

Iran's general warned that he would attack all of Israel's infrastructure if it took any retaliatory action against Iranian territory.