According to Xinhua news agency, speaking at a weekly regular press conference, Rear Admiral Zeki Akturk, spokesman for the Turkish Ministry of Defense, affirmed: "No Turkish military delegation was present at the base before or when Israel launched the attack on Syria's Abu al-Duhur airbase.
The Turkish Ministry of Defense condemned the airstrike and said that this action affected the stability, security, solidarity, territorial integrity and infrastructure of Syria.
Regional security needs to be built on the basis of international law and respect for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of nations, instead of relying on unilateral use of force," Mr. Akturk said.
Mr. Akturk called on Israel to end the "reckless attacks" and comply with international law. He said that Turkey will continue to support efforts to protect Syria's sovereignty, while contributing to strengthening its infrastructure and military capabilities.
Previously, Israel confirmed that it had airstriked an airbase in Syria on the grounds that Syria was creating conditions for Turkish forces to deploy at this base.
According to some military sources, Israeli aircraft conducted 8 airstrikes targeting the runway of Abu al-Duhur airbase in Idlib province, northwestern Syria on the morning of August 18. The airstrikes caused material damage but no casualties were recorded.
Abu al-Duhur is one of Syria's largest air bases, located near routes connecting Idlib, Aleppo and Hama provinces.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office stated that Israel and Syria have agreed to maintain the status quo on security issues, but Syria is facing the risk of breaking this agreement by allowing Turkish troops to deploy at an airbase near Aleppo.
The Israeli Prime Minister's Office said that the country has repeatedly warned Syria that such deployment would threaten Israel's security.
Syria also condemned the airstrike, calling it an act of aggression and a violation of Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity.
