US approves $4.5 billion refueling aircraft sale to Qatar
The US State Department on August 20 (local time) said that President Donald Trump's administration has approved a proposal to sell Qatar KC-46A air refueling aircraft and related equipment, with a total estimated value of 4.5 billion USD.
According to the statement, Qatar proposed to buy a maximum of 4 KC-46A aircraft, 8 PW4062 turboprop engines, including 4 backup engines, along with radar warning systems, infrared countermeasures and other support equipment and services.
The US State Department informed that Qatar has sufficient capacity to receive and integrate the above equipment and services into its armed forces. The agency also affirmed that the proposed deal will not fundamentally change the military balance in the region.

Iran declares it will use more "destructive" weapons if new fighting breaks out.
Xinhua News Agency reported that in an interview with Iranian media on August 20 (local time), spokesman for the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Hossein Mohebbi said that the country has strengthened its military potential after 2 12-day and 40-day wars conducted by the US and Israel against Iran in June last year and late February.
If the conflict continues, the weapons used will have changes in the generation of missile warheads, accuracy and range," Mr. Mohebbi said.
The IRGC spokesman emphasized that Iran has never stopped producing weapons, and affirmed that the destructive power of the warheads used in IRGC's new missiles is significantly higher than those used in previous wars.
On February 28, Israel and the United States launched airstrikes targeting Tehran and several other Iranian cities. Iran responded with missile and drone launches targeting Israel and some US targets in the region.
The warring parties reached a ceasefire agreement on April 8. On June 18, Iran and the US signed a memorandum of understanding on ending the conflict throughout the region and at all fronts. However, fighting between the two countries continued afterwards.
7.2 magnitude strong earthquake shakes southern Peru
Xinhua News Agency reported that a magnitude 7.2 earthquake occurred in the Ayacucho area, southern Peru on the afternoon of August 20 (local time).
Local authorities informed that no casualties or damage has been recorded.
According to the Peruvian Institute of Geophysics, the earthquake occurred at 13:00, with the epicenter located 35 km north of Coracora city, in Parinacochas province, at a depth of 108 km. The earthquake was magnitude III-IV in Coracora.
The Peruvian National Emergency Operations Center recorded that tremors were felt from moderate to strong in some localities. Functional agencies are monitoring areas at risk of being affected.
The Peruvian National Institute of Civil Defense recommends that people remain calm, move to safe places according to their family's evacuation plan, comply with the instructions of functional agencies and prepare necessary items in case of emergency.
Peru is located on the Pacific Ring of Fire, which records about 85% of seismic activity worldwide.
