On February 19, local authorities said that at least 4 people were killed when a truck carrying liquefied gas overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile.
A senior police officer told reporters at a press conference immediately after the incident that in addition to the deaths, 17 others were injured. The initial cause of the accident was determined to be that the truck driver lost control.
Authorities confirmed that the driver was also among those killed.
The prosecutor's office is investigating the cause of the incident. The truck belongs to the local gas company Gasco.
Gasco has not immediately responded to the press's request for comments.
Videos on social media show flames rising at the scene of the explosion. The accident occurred in Renca district, north of Santiago, near a major highway and an industrial park.
According to firefighters, the explosion was felt within a radius of about 150 - 200m and damaged at least 50 vehicles.
President Gabriel Boric said that some debris was thrown into three business establishments, but so far widespread damage has not been recorded.
Meanwhile, according to Mr. Claudio Orrego - Governor of the Santiago metropolitan area - there are 5 people in critical condition.
A person is 100% burned and is facing a very high risk of death," Mr. Orrego said.